Plagiarism Not Tolerated

October 30, 2011
They say that imitation is the highest form of flattery.  I am not sure about that, but what I am sure of is Plagiarism is a criminal actStealing someone else’s properties is a criminal act.

Everything I have written here on my blog is very personal.  That is why I always say that I don’t just review, I tell stories.  My own stories based on my own personal experiences, based on my own life.  Everything on this blog I have worked hard for.  I pay my way through the restaurants I have reviewed unless of course, it’s an event coverage or a dining invite.  I am not a full time blogger, but I always make it a point to exert effort to maintain this blog. I juggle my time between work and blogging because MY BLOG IS IMPORTANT TO ME.

And then one day, I found out that someone stole 23 of my blog posts.  23 blog posts. Photos and text.  Some of the photos were deliberately edited to omit the watermarks, while the text were tweaked a little, but some paragraphs were copied verbatim.  No permission asked from me, no proper credits were given.

Annoying. Nauseatingly disgusting.

When I checked my email yesterday, I found a message from one of my readers informing me that a certain “GRACEELICIOUS”, member of OpenRice.ph website has been stealing photos and copying some texts on my blog.

She posted all the 23 posts as her own reviews, edited the photos so that no traces of my watermarks are visible.


Filthy.

One of my readers who emailed me regarding this discovery and gave me a link which led me to one of the posts that was stolen from my blog.  It was MY post dated way back 2009 and she copied it last June 24 2011. It was my “Breakfast at Café Adriatico” blog post.  It isn't the most beautiful  photos and not the most enticingly thought-provoking post here on my blog, but the thing is, it’s mine, and someone stole it.


Gracee Bongolan / Graceelicious of Openrice Philippines Plagiarized 23 of my blog posts.
The "Cafe Adriatico" post she copied from my blog last June 24 2011


The first post that Gracee Bongolan / Graceelicious plagiarized on my blog.
 MY original post way back May 16, 2009
http://yedylicious.blogspot.com/2009/07/breakfast-meal-at-cafe-adriatico.html


I sent OpenRice.ph an email reporting this person and I even posted my concern on their facebook wall ( without dropping the offender’s name).  They have replied through the wall post indicating the email address I could send my concern to and told me that they will try to resolve the issue after the holiday.  I completely understand that.  I respect OpenRice as a separate entity on this issue.  I know it is not their fault, but I firmly believe that they should do something about it.  If this thing will be tolerated, it’ll definitely stain their credibility.  For now, I will just wait for their feedback.

Some of the photos that Gracee Bongolan / Graceelicious Plagiarized on my blog and posted as her own on her Openrice account.
See these photos?

My original post that Gracee Bongolan PLAGIARIZED.
Notice the resemblance?


I have also left a message / comment on this member’s OpenRice profile so that she would know that I am aware of what's happening. 

Friends tried tracking this member down and found out that she has a blog too.  That broke my heart.  Majority of the bloggers I know are intelligent people.  If you are a blogger, you know for a fact that Plagiarism is a big no no in this community.  Respect is important.

It's not just all about the copyright issues, but principle and respect.  Doesn't she have respect for herself, claiming someone else's work as her own?  Doesn't she trust herself that she can also make food reviews without stealing people's ideas and photos?

One of my blogger friends told me to send a message to the person directly on her Facebook account, so I did.  After a couple of hours she replied telling me that her cousin has been using her account and she already asked OpenRice to deactivate it.  Clearly she is saying that she's not the one who stole all the blog posts. 
 

Gracee Bongolan who PLAGIARIZED my blog post sent me a message on Facebook.

I was THIS close to taking a plunge on the proverbial benefit of the doubt, but then I found out that some of the blog posts stolen from me were also posted on her personal blog.  Now I wonder, is it still her cousin’s fault?


Gracee Bongolan who PLAGIARIZED my blog posts also uploaded the 23 blog posts she stole from my blog.
The same "Cafe Adriatico" she posted on her personal blog



It will be easier to let this go if only one post was stolen.  But we are talking numbers here. And 23 is a big number.  23 blog posts.  23 of the posts I have worked hard for. 

Here's the list of the posts that were stolen from me.

EVERYTHING AT STEAK
my post: http://yedylicious.blogspot.com/2010/04/everything-at-steak-family-steakhouse.html

BREAD AND BEAN
my post: http://yedylicious.blogspot.com/2011/05/bread-and-bean-cafe.html

SANDY'S PIZZA
my post: http://yedylicious.blogspot.com/2011/02/sandys-pizza.html

BANAPPLE:
my post: http://yedylicious.blogspot.com/2011/06/of-new-beginnings-healings-and-sweet.html
  

KOWLOON
my post: http://yedylicious.blogspot.com/2008/12/kowloon-house-west.html

PEN-PEN RESTAURANT
my post: http://yedylicious.blogspot.com/2010/01/crispiest-liempo-and-more-at-penpen.html

SONYA'S GARDEN
my post: http://yedylicious.blogspot.com/2011/01/healthy-dining-experience-at-sonyas.html

MISTER KABAB
my post: http://yedylicious.blogspot.com/2009/08/mister-kabab.html

LITTLE ASIA
my post: http://yedylicious.blogspot.com/2011/03/little-asia-symphony-of-flavors.html

DAVID'S TEA HOUSE
my post: http://yedylicious.blogspot.com/2010/06/shabu-shabu-at-davids-tea-house.html

CALIFORNIABERRY
my post: http://yedylicious.blogspot.com/2011/03/healthy-summer-kick-off-treat-by.html

SWIRLS
my post: http://yedylicious.blogspot.com/2010/06/all-year-round-summer-indulgence-with.html

CASITA XOCOLAT
my post: http://yedylicious.blogspot.com/2010/06/casita-xocolat.html

TENDEROAST
my post: http://yedylicious.blogspot.com/2009/09/99pesos-value-steaks-at-tenderoast.html

CHEF DONATELLO
my post: http://yedylicious.blogspot.com/2009/10/chef-donatello.html

HOUSE OF LASAGNA
my post: http://yedylicious.blogspot.com/2010/01/blog-post.html

CAFE ADRIATICO
my post: http://yedylicious.blogspot.com/2009/07/breakfast-meal-at-cafe-adriatico.html

BAR DOLCI
my post: http://yedylicious.blogspot.com/2011/03/mushroom-bruschetta-at-bar-dolci.html

SACHI
my post: http://ph.openrice.com/manila/restaurant/commentdetail.htm?commentid=7025

CAFE AGO-GO
my post: http://yedylicious.blogspot.com/2009/08/caffe-ago-go.html

DOMINO'S PIZZA
my post: http://yedylicious.blogspot.com/2011/03/dominos-pizza-has-arrived-hot-and-fresh.html

RECIPES BY CAFE METRO
my post: http://yedylicious.blogspot.com/2011/06/recipes.html

GRAMS DINER
my post: http://yedylicious.blogspot.com/2009/08/feel-good-comfort-food-at-grams-diner.html

Gracee Bongolan / Graceelicious Plagiarized 23 of my blog posts and posted it on her openrice and personal blog.
Now the encircled comment I find rather misleading


I appreciate that the person involve replied to my message to explain. But the fact that some of the stolen posts were also posted on her personal blog is still unclear to me.


This is not a personal attack, rather a learning experience that I want to share to my fellow bloggers so that they may be warned and to my readers because I owe it to them. 

I will wait for this issue to be resolved in good faith and will update this post once necessary actions were taken.




May we all learn from this experience.


***UPDATE as of NOVEMBER 1, 2011***

I have not received any reply from "graceelicious" regarding the blog posts that were also posted on her personal blog.  Although she deleted the stolen posts, she did not bother to explain her side further.


OpenRice Philippines sent me an email and promised that they will deactivate the reviews in question after the holiday.


I am not sure if only the reviews will be deactivated and not the entire account, because if you check graceelicious OpenRice profile, there are other photos which were taken from other bloggers.


I am still waiting for the complete resolution of this incident.
Plagiarism should not be tolerated, because it can happen again.  It can happen to you.

Will post update hopefully soon.


***UPDATE as of DECEMBER 6, 2011***

It's been a little over a month since this incident happened.  Openrice.ph group were kind enough to take down SOME of the review posts which were stolen from me by their member Graceelicious.  "Some" is the operative word because there are still other posts left on their website.  I have sent them the complete lists of the reviews that were taken from me, but I cannot understand why they have not taken down everything yet.


The openrice.ph member, Graceelicious, the one who stole 23 of my blog posts and posted it on her Openrice.ph account and on her own personal blog has sent me an apology message through Facebook.

I am still looking forward that everything that were stolen from me will be taken down from Openrice.ph


For now, I may have to email them for yet another follow up.


It's been a while, I hope for this matter to be resolved soon.


*** update ***


Openrice already deleted 23 of the blog posts plagiarized by Graceelicious





35 comments on "Plagiarism Not Tolerated"
  1. I'm so sick and tired of these acts --- plagiarism.

    :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. nakakabad trip talaga yang mga copy cats na yan. don't they know that there is such a thing as a digital footprint and kakahiya sila.

    hope this gets resolve for you the soonest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its normal nowadays. Prepare yourself always for this :(

    Herbert of Filipino Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw!!! Hope ma-solve nga yung issue!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Wailing Soul: Even if it happens a lot, we should not let it pass. These copyright thieves should be taught a lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like last last year pa, I found out someone copying my blog post, but I completely ignored it. Sabi ko lang, at least I know I am the original and I have more followers than the copycat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's terrible. I didn't think that that's the extent openrices would do just for the prizes openrice offers for their review. Just curious how were you able to find out about this?

    ReplyDelete
  8. try to file a dmca complaint at google if the blog has adsense so that that blog will be banned and tell the others who are trying to steal content that behavior like this will not be tolerated.

    ReplyDelete
  9. you must be very good at what you do that others really are envious of you.

    but whichever way, what she did is definitely way too much for you to just let it go. ajah!

    anyhow, I hope this issue will soon be resolve.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 23 posts stolen! wow,that grace must have like your blog posts so much.bakit kaya may mga ganung tao?imposibleng hindi nya alam about plagiarism.sana ma resolve na itong problem mo .

    ReplyDelete
  11. some people were so lazy to exert effort, they want to excel in expense of other's hardship.

    Shame on her!

    ReplyDelete
  12. She's just a stupid bitch! If it's her cousin who did all of these, then, how come it is posted also on her personal blog?! File a complaint, para ma flag yung site nya, she also has an AdSense account. I hope she gets what she deserves! Cheer Up!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Palagi tlgang may ganito. Even film reviews get stolen and recycled. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. i checked her blog it seems that she already took down the posts. its good that you kept your cool.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! This is serious sh*t. You shouldn't take it lightly. Plagiarists should be taught a lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Shame on her! Some people are just too lazy to write their own posts. Kainis!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you everyone for your comments and for voicing out your opinion on this matter. I am still looking forward for the favorable resolution of this incident and then i'll write an update. Again, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Its just plain simple...it ain't right. There is no excuse for doing what is wrong...
    I feel for you Yedy.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Grrrr! One of the things I hate the most: plagiarism. I've had some bloggers use my photos, but they ask permission and even link back to my blog. I wonder how graceelicious got through school where plagiarism is taught as being punished with a thousand deaths? Perhaps she was absent when it was discussed.

    She could have at least apologized and thoroughly explained her side.

    ReplyDelete
  21. She still have the guts to lie about it pa.. She got what she deserves, she's infamous now in the blogosphere! Haha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. hi, don't get discourage by this low lifes...and to plaster her face and claim other peeps work, kapal talaga nang face!... bilib tlaga ako how they can sleep at night na nde na babangungut=P

    ReplyDelete
  23. OMg this is so horrible.... Tsk Tsk.. If ever I see any of my photos being used by anyone else Naku Humanda sya!!! Grrrrr... Kapal ng mukha ha...

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is sick. I feel bad that this has to happen to you. Thank goodness you were informed by your readers. Sana hindi na lang maulit. :(

    ReplyDelete
  25. You are right PLAGIARISM can happen to anyone. Just read your post and the nerve of her. How insulting! I am an OpenRicer since May 2011 and been joining their promos so this lady is quite familiar to me though I haven't met her in person. I know it is not easy to let go. Perhaps for now, Let Go and Let GOD. Wish this will be resolved the soonest possible time.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I agree with you. I also hate when people try to steal my post or photos and use it in other website or to their blog. This is embarrassing. We as blogger are intelligent people, keep up the positif writing... And thx a lot for sharing, I've put watermark on every photos in my foodblog, www.myfunfoodiary.com hopefully nothing bad happened like this...

    Thanks for sharing the stories, we need to be aware with these bad people.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I agree with you. I also hate when people try to steal my post or photos and use it in other website or to their blog. This is embarrassing. We as blogger are intelligent people, keep up the positif writing... And thx a lot for sharing, I've put watermark on every photos in my foodblog, www.myfunfoodiary.com hopefully nothing bad happened like this...

    Thanks for sharing the stories, we need to be aware with these bad people.

    ReplyDelete
  28. hi Yedylicious! i just saw this post and i am furious with how some people (senators or otherwise) do not respect another's work and be credited accordingly. hindi biro ang mag-blog : the finances to eat out, acquire the right gadget, get internet connection and the time to creatively think what to post and to actually publish each posts... not to mention promoting them in the hope that there would be actual readers to take time in reading what we shared... i was furious when someone copied my travel blog's name SavvySojourns.net and she turned it to savvysojourns.com but 23 posts stolen from you?!!! this is beyond preposterous and outright disrespect! I put double watermarks in my food photos at Eat To Your Heart's Content - logo and violator at the middle of the photo but I still do not know how to stop that "copy-paste" right from my webpage. I hope all bloggers would respect one another. Keep blogging though! you have a fab one, that's why someone copied you hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi, I'm Gracee Bongolan, the owner of the Graceelicious account at Openrice.com. From the last time I wrote to you till now I am deeply sorry for what happen and I have paid the debts for all the trouble that I have done. You all have the right to voice out your opinions about me, I deserve it. I will take full responsibility about it even though I didn't really do it and someone just used my account for the benefit of joining that contest. The blog posts were already deleted and will never do food reviews because it was never my forte, I have already contacted Openrice a couple times till now to blocked out my account and take down all the reviews and it has been inactive since 2011. I hope we can all move on because I have learned from this mistake, truly if God can forgive I hope all of us can too.Please don't judge me for one mistake that I did because I'm paying for the consequences now. I'm not a bad person. I am also against plagiarism because I have experience it recently and I also felt bad about it. I am sorry again for all the hassle and for what happened Ms. Yeddy. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hanggang ngayon hindi mo parin inaamin na ikaw ang nagnakaw nung mga post ni Ms Yeddy ha Graceelicious yucky???

      Kung hindi ikaw ang nagpost nun sa openrice account mo, bakit pati sa personal blog mo nakapost yung mga ninakaw mo? PAKI EXPLAIN!!!!

      Huling huli ka na, tumatanggi ka pa.

      Delete
  30. I love the way you right your blogs and I find that you really write them with such passion wholeheartedly, however I get irritated at times because I cannot just right click a post then new tab for me to read your beautiful articles easier, but after reading this I completely understand the reason why there's so much security in your site. Now I blame that graceeeeeeyucky for such inconvenience I'm experiencing with your site now.

    I hope that you continue to write and post these wonderful food reviews. Consider me a fan. :)

    Cheers! Yum! Burp!

    PJ Icogo

    ReplyDelete
  31. It's so sad that people just copy from others and call themselves bloggers. They should know that authors of blogs write from the heart. They just don't copy what others feel. I read your posts Ms. Yeddy! Keep it up. You take good photos and write from experience. More power to you! :)

    www.eatsaillove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts on today's blog post. But no, link droppers will never be approved. Thank you!

Auto Post Signature

Auto Post  Signature